Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Building Frame

The building frame is not part of the boat, its like a bench that the boat rests on as we build it. The molds, which are like the ribs of the boat, are attached to this frame. It is important that the frame be level and straight. Especially if you are building it on a cracked concrete floor...

So, the other day I brought over the bearers (the long pieces that run lengthwise). Drew had previously screwed them together and planed and leveled the tops. I cut them to their appropriate length: 18' 1 1/2". It took me a long time to feel comfortable that they were truly parallel and at the right distance from one another. When I felt good about it, I added the two crossbars that you see in this picture.

Today, I added the legs of the frame. Again, I took a long time to make sure that everything was level every which way. In the end, I think I did a good job. Here is the frame with legs.

I know these aren't super exciting pictures, but we have to have patience, okay? Bear with me here. Maybe tomorrow I'll pose nude in the middle of the shot or something.

1 comment:

chad said...

man, spambots. Don't like em. Can't stand em. Buncha foo-foos.

Anyway, lookin' good. Did you guys end up picking a name?