Thursday, September 18, 2008

Port.

Last week I patterned and constructed the starboard garboard.  So far this week I've fixed my mistake at the stern, and begun preparations for the port garboard.

I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but the plank that I made for the starboard side ended up a little short from top to bottom in the stern.  Yesterday evening I added a piece to that section, which I faired in today.  So the starboard side fits now.  When the boat is all planked and we turn her over, I think we'll probably want to add a stringer along that seam from the transom to frame number six to shore up the small joint and ensure structural integrity.

As I suspected, the plank that now fits on the starboard side doesn't exactly fit on the port side, meaning the boat isn't exactly symetrical.  Hopefully this minor asymetry won't affect the tracking and handling of the vessel too much when she's in the water.  I think the effects will probably be neglegable as the disparity is within an eighth from one side to the other.

No comments: